ASRL Committee created the topic: 2020 ASRL Open - Mollymook Update - Important Info
ASRL Statement - 6 January 2020
We have all seen the devastation which is currently occurring around the country by bush fires. Our thoughts are with all those affected by these fires and especially our members who have been directly impacted.
Many of us on the George Bass Surfboat Marathon witnessed first hand what effect these fires can have.
With the Team Navy ASRL Open being held at Mollymook in approximately 5 weeks time the ASRL is aware of the situation in that area. We are in contact with all stakeholders including the RFS and local authorities. We are currently talking and listening, taking advise as the situation develops.
Our strong intention is to hold the Open as currently planned at Mollymook but we are also working on an alternative if there is still a fire threat or the local area is not ready to host such a large event.
Due to logistical constraints we will need to make the call three weeks prior to the event to give our members, officials, host club and organisers enough time to make the Open a success. Our back up venue will suit all those flying in through Sydney which we feel will be the vast majority of fly in travellers. At this early stage we are unable to publicise the alternative venue as official approval has not been granted but be assured we will keep you all informed as more information comes to hand.
As previously stated our preferred option is to hold the event in Mollymook and have the economic impact that the Team Navy ASRL Open brings with it to benefit this hard hit region. If the decision has to be made to move away from Mollymook, our intention would be of offer the 2021 ASRL Open to Mollymook. If any of our members can't retrieve deposits paid on accommodation, it might be possible to move the booking to 2021.
Thanks for your understanding in these testing times. The decision will be made with the best interests of our membership and the local area.